The Lost Fic Thread : Looking for a story once read . . .

The Lost Fic Thread : Looking for a story once read . . .

Right. This forum is exclusively for requests to links to fics that people have forgotten in some form or another, and are trying to find the story again.

I'll start, since I've had one bugging me all week. I read a part of a fanfic a long time ago, and something about it stuck in my head. For the life of me, I cannot remember what it was called, or enough key words to nail it via google.

So now I'm turning to you lot to see if you recall or know of it. I don't recall it being particularly well written, but it's equally likely it was brilliant. I just can't recall anything else, not even reading all of it, and that fragment of one scene is stuck in replay loop in the back of my brain. Grrrr.

IIRC, Harry had at least two animagus forms, phoenix and dragon. Something happened, he realized that Voldie (through scanning Harry's brain/dreams/something from afar) found out that Harry had feelings for Ginny, and sent his DEs to Diagon Alley to set up an ambush. Voldie went as well. Harry woke up from vision, notified the order somehow, and went to the Alley. I think he grabbed the twins, found where Ginny was cornered, and told the twins to be a diversion while he took on Voldie who was torturing or about to torture Ginny. He turned into a dragon, attacked Voldie, and . . . my replay loop starts over.

I know it's a tiny fragment to go on, but if any of you lot have any ideas at all, I'd appreciate it. I don't particularly want to read the fic, I just want to get the riddle out of my brain.


Comments

Argh, I've read that one.

Argh, I've read that one. *frowns*

Hopefully it'll come to me eventually, because until then it'll drive me nuts. It's been awhile since I've read it though.

Hmm

Aside from its inclusion of some fairly standard plot devices, that actually doesn't sound like any story I have ever read. If it's decent, I hope someone manages to remember its name / link to it. :)

Found it

Thanks to a PMer that wished to remain anonymous, it was "Betrayal of the Light" by Hannibal ad Portas. He's one of those "disappeared without a trace" authors from years past. You can check his stories here:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/683718/Hannibal_ad_Portas

The name and his FFnet page was sufficient for me to recall other vague details, but the real punchline is that I liked his story "Stockholm Syndrome" and decided to try the other one. His three works published (only one complete) are all H/G.

"Stockholm" wasn't perfect by any means, but for a pre-university teen writer, it was impressive. It also had some clever and amusing things in it, though there were holes in the plot and a hint of just a few cliches in there. Bear in mind the age of the stories (2004-2005), though, and then consider that the SH cliches weren't overwhelming at the time. To this date, SH still has novelty in some dimensions that no one has ever copied or thought of in some ways. I think what really hooked me was the entire premise, that Harry kidnapped Ginny (note AU premise).

"Betrayal" has a lot of old fanfic cliches in it, and borrows liberally from some other stories. This one really did suffer from cliche syndrome at the time of writing, as well as the liberal borrowing from other stories. I never did get very far in it, which is why I couldn't remember the other details. By the time the "novelty" of the story was setting it apart from the cliches, my patience was shot. (To put that in context, at that time, I could handle 5-10 chapters of rehashing other material before branching out to novelty. Now I can handle about 2k words of rehashing-other-ideas before I need to see novelty.) This one was a follow-on for the spate of post-OotP stories, but instead of Depressed!Moping!Angsty!Woebegone!Harry, something else happens.

Actually I've been looking

Actually I've been looking for a fic myself for some time. I don't remember many details about it either. Basically something weird is happening to Ginny and it's changing her behavior. At one point she attacks Crookshanks and bites him. She then has to undergo some sort of training or quarantine process where she is in the castle but no one ever sees her (Harry has been looking). The last scene I remember is Ginny reappears when she has to go help save Harry from a fight that is happening (on Hogwart grounds?) and later she shows him she has been learning control (she shows this by creating a dragon out of fire?). This is all I remember really. It was a long time ago and I'm pretty sure I read it on SIYE, but I'm not positive.

Anyways....the curiosity is getting to me so if anyone has any ideas what it might be I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

V

I too am searching for a fic I read a while ago (LONG ago)

okay,
I'll tell u the details right away!!
- It's after the death of Dumbledore
- Lupin has a friend in US i guess that he calls to train the trio in magic. they undergo some kind of a ritual where they stay in a hut without food for a perod of time. harry stays the longest. He says every color which means that he can utilise any kind of magic, king of magic, wile ron is earth elemental and hermione is shapeshifter.
- Ginny is trained later in story and her ability includes healing and holding shields doing hand gestures much like "spiderman".
- Harry dumps ginny for her safety and sinks in his darker side for about 3 years i guess and miss ginny's graduation of hogwarts and the marriage of ron and hermione
- ginny decides to date an aurror
- when harry returns he finds that ginny had moved on and Ms.Weasely warns harry of ever stepping a foot in the burrow.
- harry stays with lupin for a while and tries to move on and dates susan bones after making up with ron and hermione in horcrux hunt at the ministry
- susan and ginny's date decide that harry and ginny are miserable without each other and get them back together again
- I think i read it on siye

I can't tell u how much gratefull i'll be if u can find me hat story, I just might give u hugs and kisses!!!!!

The Seven Year-War

Hi!
I think it is this one:
http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=12367

Updates were fast at first but now I'm wondering if it will ever be finished...
Regards,
Ilovecats

Stockholm Syndrom

After having read the eight chapters of the aforementioned story, Stockholm Syndrome, I was wondering if any of you knew a story with a same or similar concept. The Harry kidnapping Ginny plot really is kind of intriguing. It wouldn't hurt if the story was a little bit more elaborate and further progressed, though - the 30k words really did seem like just an appetizer.

Thanks in advance ;)

Ibid

I've been tempted off and on to take Stockholm Syndrome, chop off/re-work the content from the Big Fight Scene and beyond, and then write the remainder . . . but I've got this little side project called Echoes keeping me from it. Bummer.

Ibid on the "if anyone knows a decent fic along similar vein..." query.

Another

I've been trying to recall a story recently, too. The central device of the story was that, when Dumbledore sent all those little notes to Harry in HBP, he chose his messengers for various reasons. The story explained those reasons in the context of HBP canon. I think the story was pretty short (less than 10k?) and I think I may have seen it on SIYE, but now I can't find it. Does it ring a bell for anyone?

I think it's this

I think it's this one:
http://www.phoenixsong.net/fanfiction/story/3219/
Cheers,
Ilovecats

Ilovecats wrote: I think
Ilovecats wrote:

I think it's this one:
http://www.phoenixsong.net/fanfiction/story/3219/
Cheers,
Ilovecats

And it is! Thanks.

I can't thank u enough

It has been staring at me right in the eye, I thought i read it and that i know it but never have i imagined it to be the one i'm looking for.
thank yoooooooooooouuuuu

Shucks....I guess no one

Shucks....I guess no one recognizes mine :(. I feel like I'm going insane! I know this story exists somewhere, if I could only remember more of it, but really the attacking crookshanks is the only bit that I can remember clearly.

Could not find it because

Could not find it because it's not finished:
http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=12250

THANKS!

Ah marvelous! This seems to be the one, though I'll have to read through it and make sure. Pity it hasn't been updated in a long time :(.

Lost Fic

Alright ladies and gentleman, I've a challenging request for you all.

I remember reading part of this fic on SIYE and would love to finish the job. Problem is, I only remember the barest few details:

Takes place after DH but before epilogue.
George goes off the twist after Fred's death and attacks Harry with, if I recall correctly, a purple curse.
The Weasleys think Ginny is too young for Harry (or somesuch similar)

That's it for helpful info. I'd appreciate your hilariously adept searching skills on this one.

Vespers, is this it?

http://www.fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=75003

It's called Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle. Chapter five is where George's mental state first comes in to question, when he blames Harry for Fred's death. I only followed the first few chapters, because I got distracted by other stories, and the updates were slightly irregular (I think). I do believe that George attacks Harry in this one, but I don't remember which chapter, and I don't remember the other Weasleys objecting to Harry and Ginny's relationship. Harry and Ginny are quite awkward and uncomfortable in their first steps getting back together, so maybe that's why I don't remember the brothers objections. I only read the first few chapters, but there are now fifty-one and the author says the story is completed, and (s)he is just waiting on the chapters to be validated...one at a time. Mugglenet only allows authors to post one chapter at a time from the same story, and two at a time total, to keep people from clogging up the queue. I hope this is the one you were looking for.

Mugglenet is where I found the story, but I think (after typing this out) that it may be on SIYE also. In which case it is probably complete since validation is easier and quicker on SIYE.

jediprankster
jediprankster wrote:

http://www.fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=75003

It's called Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle. Chapter five is where George's mental state first comes in to question, when he blames Harry for Fred's death. I only followed the first few chapters, because I got distracted by other stories, and the updates were slightly irregular (I think). I do believe that George attacks Harry in this one, but I don't remember which chapter, and I don't remember the other Weasleys objecting to Harry and Ginny's relationship. Harry and Ginny are quite awkward and uncomfortable in their first steps getting back together, so maybe that's why I don't remember the brothers objections. I only read the first few chapters, but there are now fifty-one and the author says the story is completed, and (s)he is just waiting on the chapters to be validated...one at a time. Mugglenet only allows authors to post one chapter at a time from the same story, and two at a time total, to keep people from clogging up the queue. I hope this is the one you were looking for.

Mugglenet is where I found the story, but I think (after typing this out) that it may be on SIYE also. In which case it is probably complete since validation is easier and quicker on SIYE.

It is on SIYE http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=127419

Thanks

-

Nope
jediprankster wrote:

http://www.fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=75003

It's called Harry Potter and the Next Great Battle. Chapter five is where George's mental state first comes in to question, when he blames Harry for Fred's death. I only followed the first few chapters, because I got distracted by other stories, and the updates were slightly irregular (I think). I do believe that George attacks Harry in this one, but I don't remember which chapter, and I don't remember the other Weasleys objecting to Harry and Ginny's relationship. Harry and Ginny are quite awkward and uncomfortable in their first steps getting back together, so maybe that's why I don't remember the brothers objections. I only read the first few chapters, but there are now fifty-one and the author says the story is completed, and (s)he is just waiting on the chapters to be validated...one at a time. Mugglenet only allows authors to post one chapter at a time from the same story, and two at a time total, to keep people from clogging up the queue. I hope this is the one you were looking for.

Mugglenet is where I found the story, but I think (after typing this out) that it may be on SIYE also. In which case it is probably complete since validation is easier and quicker on SIYE.

I may simply be conflating several stories, but I don't think this fic is the one I'm looking for. Those droids, either...

Vespers wrote: Alright
Vespers wrote:

Alright ladies and gentleman, I've a challenging request for you all.

I remember reading part of this fic on SIYE and would love to finish the job. Problem is, I only remember the barest few details:

Takes place after DH but before epilogue.
George goes off the twist after Fred's death and attacks Harry with, if I recall correctly, a purple curse.
The Weasleys think Ginny is too young for Harry (or somesuch similar)

That's it for helpful info. I'd appreciate your hilariously adept searching skills on this one.

Well at first I thought you meant mine lol but the last point doesn't fit. But Rebuilding Life is set after DH but before the epilogue, George does go off the twist and curses Harry (I don't know what colour it was!) but yeah the last point doesn't fit and I have scoured the post-DH fics as they are what I like to read and I don't recall that as a plot point in any of them. *scratches head*

I can't think of any others where George goes off at Harry over Fred either however.

Not helpful am I? :P

Lost fics

I have two lost fics that I read couple of years ago on Veritaserum, though I'd appreciate if you'd find them on some other site, as I don't like Veritaserum that much, since I think it's confusing...but here goes..

1. Happens a few years after Voldy died. Harry in an alcoholic, I think and Ginny has dyed her hair blonde and shagging almost every man she sees. Ron and Hermione have a daughter named Jenny. Harry lives at Grim.12 and finds Ginny in Diagon Alley. They shag and start dating in secret. Ginny turns up at the Burrow and they almost don't recognise her, 'cause they haven't seen her in years. Ginny goes to meet Harry in his second place in Hogsmeade when some guys try to rape her. Harry saves her but dies a while later because the guys managed to stab him or something...

2. The trio hunts for the horcruxes but still go to Hogwarts, where they meet some Ravenclaw guy who gives them a music box that belonged to Rowena herself. When Harry asks about the music box -horcrux, he tells Harry that he's Ravenclaw's (insert a lot of greats) grandson. A lot of things happen, Voldy dies, blahblahblah and then they find out that Hermione was adopted and the Ravenclaw dude is her twin brother.

Anything sound familiar??

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

"Night falls and I'm running in circles (Whoa-oh-oh)
I'm being chased by my imagination (Whoa-oh-oh)"
Alesana - The Thespian

Pearl wrote: I have two
Pearl wrote:

I have two lost fics that I read couple of years ago on Veritaserum, though I'd appreciate if you'd find them on some other site, ...

Anything sound familiar??

Thankfully, no . :p

Easier one, this time.

This certainly is a useful thread.

My lost fic this time should be a little more well-known than my past hazy confabulations and conflations of different stories. Post Voldemort (I think), Ginny and Harry's respective minds have been wiped clean of memories regarding their relationship because something in the final battle altered Harry's magic to the point that it poses a danger to Ginny. It was fairly long and I'm pretty sure it was completed.

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure that's

I'm pretty sure that's Protection by PrincessPotter (she's on SIYE and HPFF and both are updated to the same point, I'm pretty sure, but HPFF is her primary posting site).

http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?psid=181063

Hope this helps, enjoy!

Perfect

Flawless work. Not completed, I guess, but this is definitely the fic I was looking for. Thanks.

Harry makes a deal?

I read it was last week on FF.net, but I didn't mark it or save it. :(

The story is a one-short of about 4K-5K long where Voldie walks into Hogwarts during a meal and makes a deal with Harry about splitting up the world, Voldie gets control over all the magical parts and Harry can take the Muggle parts, and they stop fighting each other. The start of their negotiation came from the Occlumancy lessons with Snape, who brokered the deal. I think the author's name started with an "L", but that might be wrong.

Does anyone know a title or author for this?

Vespers wrote: Flawless
Vespers wrote:

Flawless work. Not completed, I guess, but this is definitely the fic I was looking for. Thanks.

No problem, it's one of my favorites. She posts fairly regularly on her LJ about how the status on the next chapter's coming. The story isn't abandoned, just slow to update. :)

Help

I don't remeber the plotline. All I remember is that Harry creates/comes to get a two (2) pieces of parchment that can communicate between each other and Harry gives the second one to Ginny, keeping one for himself. They write a lot to each other and discuss how BF and GF usually are "madly owling" each other. One of them, Ginny I think, asks if what they are doing is considered "madly owling" each other. That phrase has been stuck in my head for a long time and I just want to know the name of the fic.

Furiously Owling
uli.i.a37 wrote:

I don't remeber the plotline. All I remember is that Harry creates/comes to get a two (2) pieces of parchment that can communicate between each other and Harry gives the second one to Ginny, keeping one for himself. They write a lot to each other and discuss how BF and GF usually are "madly owling" each other. One of them, Ginny I think, asks if what they are doing is considered "madly owling" each other. That phrase has been stuck in my head for a long time and I just want to know the name of the fic.

That phrase sticks in my head sometimes, too. It's from jadzialove's "The Art of Healing":
http://www.phoenixsong.net/fanfiction/story/2426/

Furiously/Madly Owling
Sovran wrote:

That phrase sticks in my head sometimes, too. It's from jadzialove's "The Art of Healing":
http://www.phoenixsong.net/fanfiction/story/2426/

Thanks. This has been bugging me for literally months.

Hello, I've been trying to

Hello,
I've been trying to find a fic that I read some time ago. It take place place after Harry and Ginny are married and have kids. It's a short storie (~4 chaps I think) in where Harry and Ginny are about to divorce, but they start to realy talking in the process and at the end things get better, Ginny don't show at the metting to sign the divorce papers, and they reconsiles.

It's not a lot but if anyone has an idea I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

aqwxsz1111
aqwxsz1111 wrote:

Hello,
I've been trying to find a fic that I read some time ago. It take place place after Harry and Ginny are married and have kids. It's a short storie (~4 chaps I think) in where Harry and Ginny are about to divorce, but they start to realy talking in the process and at the end things get better, Ginny don't show at the metting to sign the divorce papers, and they reconsiles.

It's not a lot but if anyone has an idea I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

The only one I know that fits that is my own Ginny's House.

http://www.phoenixsong.net/fanfiction/story.php?cid=3620

Yeah! That's it. Thanks a

Yeah! That's it. Thanks a lots.

aqwxsz1111 wrote: Yeah!
aqwxsz1111 wrote:

Yeah! That's it. Thanks a lots.

Glad to help.

Can't Remember Title or Author

I have been reading a story which takes place after DH.

Harry is an auror, and Ginny has been turned down for auror training because Harry voted against it. So when she finds out, she breaks up with him.

Then she becomes a professional quiditch player. She and Ron are on the same team.

The team goes on holiday, but they need protection as there has been an attack against their family.

They are assigned auror protection. Ron and Hermione are getting married on the holiday, so all of the Weasleys are going to be there.

Harry is assigned to protect Ginny.

I think I read it at fanfiction.net, but just can't find it.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

I actually found it.

I actually found it. Thanks.:)

Looking for the Muggle-Making-Potion-Fic

Hi all,

I remember reading a long time ago a story (H/G) that involved Harry making a potion that would turn magical people into Muggles by removing their ability to do magic -- permanently. He wound up using the potion on a crazy potions test, where he took a one-shot test to replace all prior potions grades, not realizing he was getting a NEWT out of it. I think, but can't be sure, he was taught potions by a retired auror, by the name of Mac or something . . .

Anyone know what this fic is/was? Links?

Thanks to any and sundry!

To answer my own query

It turns out I was mixing two fan fiction arcs, or three stories, rather than just one.

The muggle-inducing potion is "Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon" by EdwardO, I believe.

The retired auror tutor in potions is the Dangerous Choice/Elements of Valor series by MadEye.

Having found them again, I realize that the first was amusing if not particularly profound or up to today's well-written standards; the latter series is still quite interesting in several respects, while being well written if not quite in a Sovran/moshpit/rbackwards level.

two of them MIA

Though I recently got my old laptop back from the DISA guys, I lost a few stories. Here are two I'd like to find. Sadly I can't recall if either was any good. :-/

First one: Harry is in some sort of refugee camp after the war and his friends are searching for him. He's got a serious case of ptsd (shellshock) but they find him.

around the time that GT fell apart and became PS, there was some kind of stink on several sites about the second story I'm missing. I have PART of it, but my google-fu must be weak, as the .doc file here has 24 chapters listed and I can only find a few online (11) "Jenny" by LaFeeMechante.

squidtamer wrote: Though I
squidtamer wrote:

Though I recently got my old laptop back from the DISA guys, I lost a few stories. Here are two I'd like to find. Sadly I can't recall if either was any good. :-/

First one: Harry is in some sort of refugee camp after the war and his friends are searching for him. He's got a serious case of ptsd (shellshock) but they find him.

around the time that GT fell apart and became PS, there was some kind of stink on several sites about the second story I'm missing. I have PART of it, but my google-fu must be weak, as the .doc file here has 24 chapters listed and I can only find a few online (11) "Jenny" by LaFeeMechante.

Can't help on the first, but Jenny was completed but later withdrawn from the various sites it was on. I can't remember the reason though.

parakletos wrote: Can't
parakletos wrote:

Can't help on the first, but Jenny was completed but later withdrawn from the various sites it was on. I can't remember the reason though.

I have a saved copy of Jenny which has 26 chapters. I don't know if that's the whole thing, but I can send it to you if you'd like.

Jenny

Why was Jenny so controversial, perchance?

Vespers wrote: Why was
Vespers wrote:

Why was Jenny so controversial, perchance?

The story wasn't. It was an angst fest bordering on Melodrama but it was worth reading.

The refugee camp one was on

The refugee camp one was on Phoenix Song. I *think* the author was Kathryn ... not 100% on that but it was definitely at one time on PS.

Lost

http://www.phoenixsong.net/fanfiction/story/3708/
Kathryn was on siye too but there are no stories left. They were all available two years ago. Maybe it's time I make a new offline copy of the site...

Pascal

Ilovecats
Ilovecats wrote:

http://www.phoenixsong.net/fanfiction/story/3708/
Kathryn was on siye too but there are no stories left. They were all available two years ago. Maybe it's time I make a new offline copy of the site...

Pascal

Interesting, does this infringe on the author's copyright?

Copyright

As far as I know, no, as long as I don't make it available. At least on my side of the pond (the old one). And even then, the question will be on what the copyright applies: on the design of the site? Probably only if I decide to use it myself. On the content? It's fanfiction so very murky waters anyway...

But I'm no lawyer...
But I thank all authors for sharing their work.

Vespers wrote: Why was
Vespers wrote:

Why was Jenny so controversial, perchance?

I really don't recall almost anything about the trouble. I want to say it was personal attacks on the author that escalated? But ask around, I am sure to be wrong. I discovered all this long after the high point of HP fanfic-dom.

I DO recall it wasn't the story but something to do with reviews, the author, and admins on two sites. Nothing other than that.

Kezzabear wrote: The
Kezzabear wrote:

The refugee camp one was on Phoenix Song. I *think* the author was Kathryn ... not 100% on that but it was definitely at one time on PS.

Ah, my thanks. Found it on Phoenix Song. "Lost" was the title I was looking for. It's a bit angst ridden, but not bad.

Not much to go on ...

I've been trying to find a fic where Harry is rescued by Snape and still end sup with Ginny. The abuse at the Dursleys is greater than in the books so Harry is really submissive.

Snape realises that Harry is the Chosen One and sets about rebuilding him.

Not much to go on, but any takers?

Thanks.

Rebuild

Is Harry better, stronger, faster than he was before?

Vespers wrote: Is Harry
Vespers wrote:

Is Harry better, stronger, faster than he was before?

Well, he has the technology....

Harry is raised by Voldemort

I am looking for a story I lost the link to. It was on FF, and then the author began adding it to SIYE.
Harry was born at Volemort's castle after Lily is kidnapped and raped by Voldemort. V assumes Harry is his son, but Lily knows she was already pregnant before being abducted. Fast forward many years and somehow Ginny and a few other girls are locked in the dungeons at Voldemorts keep. Harry stops a DE guard from raping her because she reminds him of his mother and takes her to his quarters where he does the deed instead. In a stockholm syndrome twist Ginny falls in love his Harry. Harry is haunted by memories of his mothers treatment at Voldemorts wand. Later Harry tortures Arthur but helps the Order when they attack, killing Voldemort himself.
Fast forward, and Harry is reunited with James and sent to Hogwarts to complete his education but does not fit in well. He creates his own quarters rather than staying in his House dormitories. He and Ginny continue to see eachother against her families wishes, and after she is viciously attacked by a strange DE curse while in Hogsmeade Harry is forced to perform an extremely painful counter-curse on her. Her family misunderstands and refuses Harry to be allowed to see her. Ginny herself is very conflicted, feeling love for Harry while awake but having nighmares about him while asleep.
The authors first language is German, I think, so many of his English phrases read like Old English. The pen name starts with an R, I think.
Any thoughts?

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read" Groucho Marks

Hi! I think it's "In the

Hi!

I think it's "In the Darkness" by Roeschen.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1796126/1/In_the_Darkness

That's it!
aqwxsz1111 wrote:

Hi!

I think it's "In the Darkness" by Roeschen.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1796126/1/In_the_Darkness

Thank you so much! That's the one.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read" Groucho Marks

Another One

I just remembered a fic that was good but sadly, like most other fics, it didn't reach completion (or chapter 10 if memory serves). The storyline was post-hogwarts, wrong-bwl fic were Harry's brother, naturally, is percieved to be the bwl and Harry, having been pushed the side, is forgotten. He (Harry) was given a choice by the sorting hat to which house he should go to and, because of his loneliness, he went to the Puffs looking for friendship that Hufflepuff was know for. No one befriends him but Ginny and they start going out and he and she go out on a trip around the world when she graduates.
Keep in mind that the story started during an Order meeting where Molly tells everybody that Ginny came back from her trip and brought with her somebody who would be good for the Order, this of course being Harry. When they first arrive, Lily tries to go and give Harry a hug but he rejects her because her lack of attention when he was younger.
So yeah, this is pretty much all I can remember and would appreciate it if you guys could help me in the search. Oh, yeah, It was posted on FF.net but I don't know if it was posted anywhere else.
edit: Yeah, I added some paragraph breaks so now it doesn't look like one big bleh.

uli.i.a37 wrote: I just
uli.i.a37 wrote:

I just remembered a fic that was good but sadly, like most other fics, it didn't reach completion (or chapter 10 if memory serves). The storyline was post-hogwarts, wrong-bwl fic were Harry's brother, naturally, is percieved to be the bwl and Harry, having been pushed the side, is forgotten. He (Harry) was given a choice by the sorting hat to which house he should go to and, because of his loneliness, he went to the Puffs looking for friendship that Hufflepuff was know for. No one befriends him but Ginny and they start going out and he and she go out on a trip around the world when she graduates.

Keep in mind that the story started during an Order meeting where Molly tells everybody that Ginny came back from her trip and brought with her somebody who would be good for the Order, this of course being Harry. When they first arrive, Lily tries to go and give Harry a hug but he rejects her because her lack of attention when he was younger.

So yeah, this is pretty much all I can remember and would appreciate it if you guys could help me in the search. Oh, yeah, It was posted on FF.net but I don't know if it was posted anywhere else.

edit: Yeah, I added some paragraph breaks so now it doesn't look like one big bleh.

Sounds like one worth a view, anyone remember it?

Our Beloved Nephew

I'm looking for a story that ends with someone changing all the photos in the Dursley house to photos of Harry. They've got permanent sticking charms on them and are inscribed "Our Beloved Nephew".

uli.i.a37 wrote: I just
uli.i.a37 wrote:

I just remembered a fic that was good but sadly, like most other fics, it didn't reach completion (or chapter 10 if memory serves). The storyline was post-hogwarts, wrong-bwl fic were Harry's brother, naturally, is percieved to be the bwl and Harry, having been pushed the side, is forgotten. He (Harry) was given a choice by the sorting hat to which house he should go to and, because of his loneliness, he went to the Puffs looking for friendship that Hufflepuff was know for. No one befriends him but Ginny and they start going out and he and she go out on a trip around the world when she graduates.
Keep in mind that the story started during an Order meeting where Molly tells everybody that Ginny came back from her trip and brought with her somebody who would be good for the Order, this of course being Harry. When they first arrive, Lily tries to go and give Harry a hug but he rejects her because her lack of attention when he was younger.
So yeah, this is pretty much all I can remember and would appreciate it if you guys could help me in the search. Oh, yeah, It was posted on FF.net but I don't know if it was posted anywhere else.
edit: Yeah, I added some paragraph breaks so now it doesn't look like one big bleh.

Its the forgotten wizard by Yandrak
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5242094/1/The_Forgotten_Wizard

i remember reading a fic

i remember reading a fic where wormtail takes harry to voldemort when he was a child, instead of sharin the fidelius charm. instead of killin harry, voldemort raises him to be a dark prince and in the process makes harry hate and fear his parents. plz tell me the name of the story if anyone knows wat 'm talkin bout.

A single line

There is a half-remembered line from a fic sticking in my head. Luna says to Harry "You are dancing, Harry, and well." Or some such. Clues?

Google says

"“You are dancing, Harry, and well,” Luna Lovegood said, stopping Harry in his tracks. It was Sunday morning, and he’d been on his way back to the library when the distant, nonchalant tones of the mysterious Ravenclaw brought him to a halt. He looked around, trying to find the girl who spoke them.

From

Grey Maiden IV: Darkness Rising by Chris Widger

http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=12191

Hope this is what you were looking for!

Cheers,

The Rat

_______________________________
Standing here in my Reckless Hat

Roeschen

I know of this one:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1796126/1/In_the_Darkness

Is it what you're looking for.
There is a sequel as well, but it hasn't been updated in some time now.

Cheers,
Pascal

Could also be...

...Kurinoone's The Darkness Within series
The first draft of this had potential, but it was in obvious need of a beta. She's currently rewriting the first part and her writing/story development has improved tenfold.

It was also inspired by A Shattered Prophecy by Project Dark Overlord which follows the same basic premise with a drastically different ending. Personally, I liked Kurinoone's storyline better despite the poor quality just because the ending didn't seem as haphazard.

Both are on fanfiction, but I can't remember how to insert the links into my reply.

Hope that helped!

Tickldpnk8
Tickldpnk8 wrote:

...Kurinoone's The Darkness Within series
The first draft of this had potential, but it was in obvious need of a beta. She's currently rewriting the first part and her writing/story development has improved tenfold.

It was also inspired by A Shattered Prophecy by Project Dark Overlord which follows the same basic premise with a drastically different ending. Personally, I liked Kurinoone's storyline better despite the poor quality just because the ending didn't seem as haphazard.

Both are on fanfiction, but I can't remember how to insert the links into my reply.

Hope that helped!

it is the 'darkness within' i was searching for. thanks a lot.

Reckless Rat wrote: Hope
Reckless Rat wrote:

Hope this is what you were looking for!

Cheers,

The Rat

_______________________________
Standing here in my Reckless Hat

Exactly that. Thanks!

Lost Fic

Hi, the fic I'm looking for is an unfinished one, I think. I remember Harry inviting Ginny to the Yule Ball and being rejected 'cause Ginny thinks Harry looks for her when he doesn't want to make an effort. He later gives her an anonymous Christmas present (a crystal rose) because he thinks if he signs it she'll return it.
Ginny talks to Sirius and finds out the truth, and devise a plan to get him to listen to her during the second task. He rescued Ginny in like 30 minutes and had to wait for the effect of the gillyweed to pass. That's when Ginny talks to Harry, they get together after that "talk"

I think

you are looking for that :

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4709859/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_War_Against_V...

by hermyd

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marrying for love was not forbidden, it just didn't make any sense.
Jasper Fforde, Shades of Grey

Thanks! That's the one.
Phil42 wrote:

you are looking for that :

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4709859/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_War_Against_V...

by hermyd

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marrying for love was not forbidden, it just didn't make any sense.
Jasper Fforde, Shades of Grey

Funny thing is I stared reading that one thinking is the one I was looking for, but then dismissed it... don't know why...

artina wrote:I'm looking
artina wrote:

I'm looking for a story that ends with someone changing all the photos in the Dursley house to photos of Harry. They've got permanent sticking charms on them and are inscribed "Our Beloved Nephew".

A touch of google tells me to try "Harry Potter and the Philtre of Promise". phoenix song has it.

Time travel fic

Recently I was reading a fic where Voldemort gets rid of Harry by sending him back in time to the Founders era. Once there, there's a Back to the Future-like bar scene where Harry is rescued from some fearful muggles by a Strider-like Godric Gryffindor. Harry eventually joins Godric at Hogwarts as his apprentice while researching time travel so he can go home. Meanwhile, Hermione, Ron and Ginny search through the history books for any clue as to when he ended up. Their searching leads them to a more complete History of Hogwarts which details the mysterious headmaster taking the place of Godric after his death.

Does anyone recognize this fic? I can't seem to remember where I saw it for the life of me, nor what it was called. I can't even remember if it was particularly well-written or not. Argh!

Tickldpnk8 wrote: Recently
Tickldpnk8 wrote:

Recently I was reading a fic where Voldemort gets rid of Harry by sending him back in time to the Founders era. Once there, there's a Back to the Future-like bar scene where Harry is rescued from some fearful muggles by a Strider-like Godric Gryffindor. Harry eventually joins Godric at Hogwarts as his apprentice while researching time travel so he can go home. Meanwhile, Hermione, Ron and Ginny search through the history books for any clue as to when he ended up. Their searching leads them to a more complete History of Hogwarts which details the mysterious headmaster taking the place of Godric after his death.

Does anyone recognize this fic? I can't seem to remember where I saw it for the life of me, nor what it was called. I can't even remember if it was particularly well-written or not. Argh!

Myth of the hourglass on SIYE?

http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=129112

That's It!!

Thanks! I was going batty...didn't even look for it on SIYE. I knew someone here would know it.

Slytherin Harry/Ginny fic

Hi, i don't know if this is the right thread to post this in since i haven't exactly 'lost' a fic but i was wondering if anyone knows of some good Slytherin Harry/Ginny fics like the one Parakletos recommended: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6632235/1/Serpentine_Serenade
With Slytherin Harry taking Slytherin Ginny under his wing.

Or maybe some Dark/Grey, Harry/Ginny ones.

I've looked and maybe i'm not searching at the right places but i can't find any. I know it's not a very original concept so it's a little frustrating that i haven't been able to find any. I would really appreciate it if someone would help me out with this. Thanks.

Grey Maiden

Chris Widger is writing the "Grey Maiden" series of fics, so named after the morally complex ex-Auror OC (well-written) who raises Harry from infancy. It will be a full seven "book" series, four of which are already completed. Ginny doesn't come in until the second fic, à la canon, but the first one is still a great read. Both Harry and Ginny are Slytherin, Harry indeed taking her under his wing. Grey Harry, H/G, etc. It tics all your boxes.

Be warned, the whole thing is over 800,000 words so far and Book V isn't even finished, but the rare quibble about characterization aside, it's one of my favorite series, completed or otherwise.

http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/series.php?seriesid=34

scal wrote: Hi, i don't
scal wrote:

Hi, i don't know if this is the right thread to post this in since i haven't exactly 'lost' a fic but i was wondering if anyone knows of some good Slytherin Harry/Ginny fics like the one Parakletos recommended: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6632235/1/Serpentine_Serenade
With Slytherin Harry taking Slytherin Ginny under his wing.

Or maybe some Dark/Grey, Harry/Ginny ones.

I've looked and maybe i'm not searching at the right places but i can't find any. I know it's not a very original concept so it's a little frustrating that i haven't been able to find any. I would really appreciate it if someone would help me out with this. Thanks.

A lot of Slytherin Harry fics exclude Ginny, or pair him up with Draco *shudders*. I've written both in Slytherin but never published the stuff that has them together.

There's also:

My Slytherin Harry
By hermyd

Category: Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Disturbing Imagery, Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: R
Reviews:
Summary: If things were different, and Harry was a Slytherin, and Ginny's parents had tried their best to keep her away from him, what would happen when she's finally had enough? Anti lots of people, Grey Harry.

It's not too intense, something I feel Harry or Ginny in Slytherin stories should be, but you will read worse in your time.

http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=129011

Thank you

Vespers, Parakletos, thank you both! It's a bit surprising that there aren't that many fics outthere with the Slytherin Harry/Ginny angle. Because i thought that it was a much used concept i almost went nuts thinking i kept overlooking fics.
I will certainly give both 'The Grey Maiden' series and 'My Slytherin Harry' a chance.

Vespers thanks for the heads up but to me it doesn't really matter how long 'The Grey Maiden' series is, i enjoy long epic stories more anyway so the lenght is a plus for me.

Parakletos, i too noticed all the Harry/Draco pairings in my search and let me tell you, you're not the only one that *shudders* at the thought of the two of them together.
And if you ever decide to publish your Slytherin Harry/Ginny storie(s) i would love to read it (them).

Thanks again guys.

This thread is a godsend

This thread is a godsend imo. Ive been looking for a certain fic, the main point I can remember is that it begins with Harry attending Vernon's funeral and wishing he had been a better person.The story basically retells canon on a "what if" Vernon wasn't a complete prick type scenario. Sadly i Cant remember anything else. If anyone knows what story I'm talking about that would be awesome. Thanks all

“Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum”
Translation: “Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.”

Referenced story
You already named it
Thanks

Thanks guys it's been bugging me for a couple weeks now :D

“Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum”
Translation: “Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.”

Off-topic

There was a brief post by JhanG about some interesting statistics, but was way, way off-topic for the thread. I removed the post accordingly.

If someone wants to post political commentary or economic commentary, in general, I'd prefer it happen elsewhere. If you feel compelled to discuss it here because you think you'll find a more articulate audience or sounding board, please open a new forum topic/thread with an appropriate title.

Okay, I'm this time I'm

Okay, this time I'm looking for a story where Harry get's trained in martial arts by some chick who knew Dumbledore before. If I remember correctly, they used to bike together and she has a dragon skin jacket from him. Also, Harry finds her because she works at the gym that Dudley does boxing in and Harry's forced to help Dudley. If I remember correctly, the Order is also not allowed to contact Harry in any way shape or form but Ginny finds a way to send him letters.
It'll be much appreciated if you guys find this for me. I'll check back in a few days.

That would be this one

Harry Potter and the Unforgiven by Jayiin Mistaya
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3220817/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Unforgiven

It hasn't seen an update in more than 2 years... I fear it has been abandoned :-(

- SC

The Unforgiven by Jayiin Mistaya and a request for a lost fic

Miri
Early this year on his Live Journal page (http://jayiin.livejournal.com/ ), which is somewhat irregularly updated, Jayiin said that he wanted to get back to working on "Unforgiven" after RL delays--he'd had problems of various kind including fighting severe depression over the previous year. He was also involved in trying to get the somewhat moribund "Wizard Tales" site back to full functioning again.

However, in his last LJ posting which was dated Aug.7th, he was talking of several of his health issues. None individually severe, just numerous and ganging up on him. So it's unlikely that this interesting story (somewhat grim but really catches your interest anyway ) will be updated soon but hopefully is not definitely abandoned. Jayiin does claim that he intends to finish it and goodness knows there have been stories updated and finished after equally as long or longer hiatuses. Just look at "This Means War" or "Mutant Storm".

Now, it's my turn to ask for help in finding a lost fic.

I read it about 2-3 years ago, most likely on either SIYE or Phoenix Song. It was a completed story. During the "final" battle, Harry is swept away by Voldemort to an isolated area where Harry defeats and kills Voldemort. However, his victory seems meaningless because, during the main battle, it looked as if Ron, Hermione, Ginny and others were all killed. An injured and dazed Harry starts walking away from where he has killed Voldemort and, accompanied only by Hedwig, he keeps walking, literally around the world. Years later he finds some clues that make him think he might have been wrong about some of the deaths and he finally returns to Britain to see if there's any hope of finding his friends and a future.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Miri wrote: I read it about
Miri wrote:

I read it about 2-3 years ago, most likely on either SIYE or Phoenix Song. It was a completed story. During the "final" battle, Harry is swept away by Voldemort to an isolated area where Harry defeats and kills Voldemort. However, his victory seems meaningless because, during the main battle, it looked as if Ron, Hermione, Ginny and others were all killed. An injured and dazed Harry starts walking away from where he has killed Voldemort and, accompanied only by Hedwig, he keeps walking, literally around the world. Years later he finds some clues that make him think he might have been wrong about some of the deaths and he finally returns to Britain to see if there's any hope of finding his friends and a future.

Sound familiar to anyone?

That definitely sounds familiar to me. As I recall, he sees a picture of one of the Weasleys (or Hermione) in a newspaper or something, and at first he believes it's a hoax or a hallucination. I did some cursory searching on those two sites, but I can't find it. I'll keep digging around, though... I'm curious now. Does this ring a bell for anyone else?

Dave

Miri wrote: I read it about

I think this is it: While The Night Is Still Young by Strider.
http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=4142

I read it about...

Yes! That's it. Thank you frterwil for finding it and letting me know. You too Dave ( Hi Dave--how are you doing?), for responding as well.

I'm quite glad to find this as it was a well written and moving story.

Another lost lamb of a story

I've been trying to find an author whose stories I rather liked. My principal clue is a short story about Harry and Hermione, though it certainly isn't a romance. In it, Harry meets with Hermione, an agent for the Muggle government of Britain, and is told that the magical world needs to submit immediately or chance destruction. Harry legilimances her, discovers that she had her wand snapped after attempting magic before getting on the train, promises commensurate devastation on the Muggles should a strike be ordered, and leaves to use a time-turner and warn himself.

Any ideas?